Blanks likely DL candidate for Padres

MESA, Ariz. –- Padres outfielder Kyle Blanks will likely start the regular season on the disabled list if he doesn’t quickly recover from an impingement in his left shoulder, manager Bud Black said on Monday.

Blanks has been out for the past five days with soreness in the shoulder and his immediate return is not on the horizon.

“He got a cortisone shot a couple of days ago and he’s feeling much better,” Black said in his office at the Peoria Sports Complex only hours before the Padres played the Cubs at Hohokam Park. “We’ll see how it resolves itself in the next couple of days. Then there will be a clearer indication of what’s happening.”

Blanks’ injury comes at a time when Carlos Quentin is recovering from arthroscopic surgery on his right knee. Quentin will miss at least the first month of the season, leaving left field wide open for now with the season opener slated against the Dodgers at Petco Park on April 5.

“It’s kind of a bummer for Kyle just because of the Quentin situation,” Black said. “That provided an opening for him to get a lot of at bats and maybe make the club. That window is sort of closing.”

Blanks split his 2011 season between the Minors and San Diego, playing in 55 games for the Padres. His 2010 season was cut short after undergoing Tommy John ligament replacement surgery on his right elbow. Last year, he batted .229 with seven homers and 26 RBIs. Blanks is batting .208 (5-for-24) this spring with a homer and two RBIs in nine games.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

%d bloggers like this: